New program has more options for new, current, and past safety group members
Ontario businesses still have until March 31, 2019, to share in the benefits of joining a Safety Group, including improved health and safety performance and up to a 7 per cent rebate on Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) premiums.
Safety Groups is a WSIB incentive program to help support businesses in advancing their health and safety programs and eliminate injuries.
Based on feedback to WSIB, Ontario businesses are now better served with a variety of safety group membership options – regular, advanced, and hybrid – when accessing expert help for their health and safety programs and practices. The new 2019 Safety Group program has more options for new, current, and past members:
- Rebate on WSIB premiums up to 7 per cent
- New firms can join by March 31
- Firms may be eligible to move between regular and advanced safety group program or choose a hybrid version
- Safety Group advantage members now have an opportunity to participate in the hybrid version of the program allowing for greater focus on high-risk weaknesses found in 2018 audit
- Small businesses with annual premiums of less than $90,000 that register for the 2019 Safety Group can work on just three elements, (not five).
- Firms that have completed five years in the regular Safety Group program are no longer required to move into the Safety Group Advantage Program (SGAP). Instead, they can choose to continue in the regular program
- Firms that have completed 1 or more years in the SGAP program may return to the regular program (past members only).
- Any size of firm can join safety groups
If you are a current or past Safety Group member, you’re encouraged to explore the changes for 2019 and consider this newly revised program, which can help improve your company’s health and safety performance.
Benefits of joining a safety group
Applications to join the 2019 Safety Group program are being accepted until March 31, 2019. If you’re not already a member, you can learn more about the benefits and opportunities of membership, including:
- Networking with like-minded firms interested in improving their health and safety program
- Information updates regarding health and safety legislation, resource material, and training
- Local speakers on topics of interest to your region
- Health and safety information and knowledge sharing
- Guidance and support in meeting Safety Group program requirements
- Potential financial rebate
There are also changes ahead for WSIB programs, such as a new rate framework in 2020. Joining a safety group could help you lower injury stats and frequency rates before the new rate framework takes effect. Sign up as soon as possible to guarantee a spot in a 2019 Safety Group chapter near you.
The Northern Ontario Safety Group is jointly sponsored by the four provincial health and safety associations (Workplace Safety North, Workplace Safety and Prevention Services, Public Services Health and Safety Association, and Infrastructure Health and Safety Association), and all businesses throughout northern Ontario are invited to participate. For more information, please visit www.safetygroups.ca.
2019 Safety Group Options