President Award winners Kidd Operations - Glencore and Kruger Inc. Packaging recognized at annual general meeting
On Thursday, September 19, Workplace Safety North hosted their annual general meeting in North Bay, Ontario. The evening also included the inaugural President’s Awards, honouring companies with top safety records in their sectors.
Board chair Bill Shaver, CEO of DMC Mining Services, opened the meeting by discussing many changes WSN has experienced: the amalgamation of three safety organizations into one, a change in reporting structure from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board to the Ministry of Labour, a change in year-end from December to March 31 with new accounting standards for non-profits, in addition to ongoing funding challenges.
Through it all, he noted, lost-time injuries have been steadily decreasing, although unfortunately there were three fatalities last year. Once annual meeting business was wrapped up, WSN President and CEO Candys Ballanger-Michaud presented two safety awards: one to General Manager Tom Semadeni accepting on behalf of Kidd Operations – Glencore in Timmins, and the other to HR Manager Joe Oleiro accepting on behalf of Kruger Packaging in Brampton.
“There is a need to recognize the efforts of workplaces that choose to make safety a priority,” said Candys Ballanger-Michaud, WSN President and CEO. “Our members deserve special recognition when they demonstrate a strong commitment to ensuring that every worker goes home safe and healthy. The recipients and all the nominees represent positive examples of companies working hard to make work safe.”
President’s Award Winners
- Kidd Operations: A Glencore Company
- Kruger Inc. Packaging, Brampton Division
Earlier this year, 20 companies received a Workplace Excellence Award, recognizing workplace excellence in health and safety.
Workplace Excellence Award Winners
- Alex MacIntyre & Associates, Kirkland Lake, ON
- AuRico Gold Young - Davidson Mine, Matachewan, ON
- Barrick Williams Mine, Marathon, ON
- Black Hawk Drilling Ltd., ON contract via Smithers, BC
- Boart Longyear, Haileybury and North Bay, ON
- Cementation Canada Inc., North Bay, ON
- DMC Mining Services, Richmond Hill, ON
- Domtar, Dryden Mill, Dryden, ON
- Goldcorp Red Lake Gold Mines, Balmertown, Red Lake, ON
- Imerys Talc Canada Inc., Timmins, ON
- J.S. Redpath Ltd., North Bay, ON
- Kidd Operations: A Glencore Company, Timmins, ON
- Kirkland Lake Gold Inc., Kirkland Lake, ON
- Kruger Inc. Brampton Division, Brampton, ON
- SCR Mines Technology Inc., Sudbury, ON
- Sudbury Integrated Nickel Operations: A Glencore Company, Sudbury, ON
- Technica Mining, Sudbury, ON
- Tembec - Kapuskasing Operations, Kapuskasing, ON
- The Central Group, Mississauga, ON
- Tonolli Canada Ltd., Mississauga, ON
Congratulations to all companies receiving awards! The Workplace Excellence Awards Program is available to all clients with predominant business activities in one of Workplace Safety North’s rate groups.
About WSN Workplace Excellence Awards
The purpose of the program is twofold. First, companies can complete an easy-to-follow assessment of their current health and safety programs. Once completed, businesses can then clearly see areas for improvement and develop an action plan to improve safety performance. Second, the program provides recognition to firms actively engaged in improving their health and safety performance.
Companies that score 80 percent or more on the self-assessment can submit the completed assessment to WSN in order to receive a plaque that can be displayed in the workplace. WSN reviews the self-assessment and scores may be validated by an on-site visit from a WSN Field Consultant.
All submitted assessments are automatically considered for the President’s Award. Scoring is based on the results of the self-assessment in combination with statistical performance of the past two calendar years. Top scoring firms in forestry, mining, paper, printing, and converting, and small business are presented with the President’s Award at the WSN annual general meeting each September.
Submissions can be made at any time throughout the calendar year. For mining companies that would like to be recognized with a plaque at this year’s Mining Health and Safety conference, the deadline for submission is March 15. To be considered for the 2013 President’s Award, companies must submit their assessment by August 15.
Resources and Links
Download the Health and Safety Self-Assessment for WSN Workplace Excellence Awards
Accompanying Information Guide includes Frequently Asked Questions