WSN joins forces with Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
WSN has joined forces with the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) to offer eight new e-learning programs, four of them free of charge. Seven of the eight courses are available in English and French and all courses cover topics that are of particular interest to the sectors served by WSN.
“Workplace Safety North is really pleased to announce the availability of health and safety education for the people working in Ontario's mining, forestry, paper, printing and converting sectors as well as businesses in all sectors across northern Ontario,” says John Levesque, Acting Director, Program and Product Development. “These courses are delivered in partnership with the Canadian Centre Occupational Health and Safety, and provide up-to-date and relevant topics in health and safety.”
“Business owners will appreciate the convenience of e-learning for staff, especially in our more remote northern communities where travel time and costs for training can be prohibitive,” notes Levesque. “And the fact that four of the courses are free makes them a great addition for all workplace health and safety programs.”
- Business Case for Health and Safety – a 30-minute program that introduces participants to the many positive reasons for taking a proactive approach to health and safety.
- Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs): Awareness – a 20-minute program that explains MSDs, risk factors, common causes and prevention tips.
- Mental Health: Awareness – an introduction to the complex issue of mental health in the workplace, including the importance of early intervention and promotion of mental well-being at work.
- Occupational and Environmental Cancer: Recognition and Prevention – a 1 to 1.5-hour program that provides insights into how the recognition of occupational and environmental cancer risks can lead to prevention.
- Joint Health and Safety Committees in Ontario – a 1-hour program that offers guidance on how to establish a new committee, how a committee can perform its functions and how it can be effective.
- Lockout – a 1-hour program that explains the importance and purpose of lockout, when to lockout, how to implement lockout and elements of hazardous energy control.
- Manual Materials Handling – a 1-hour program that covers risk factors focused on a LOAD, TASK, CONDITIONS model, lifting techniques and exercise to prevent back injuries.
- WHMIS 2015 for Workers – a 1-hour program that familiarizes workers with the updated WHMIS 2015 system and how it is used in workplaces. Learning about WHMIS 2015 is part of the knowledge that workers need to protect themselves and their co-workers from hazardous products.