Three Ontario companies to be recognized at WSN Annual General Meeting
Each year, Workplace Safety North (WSN), Ontario’s occupational health and safety association for forestry, mining, and paper, printing, and converting sectors, recognizes Ontario workplaces that have a strong safety culture.
“The Workplace Excellence Awards shine the spotlight on the health and safety achievements of our members in mining, forestry, and paper, printing and converting businesses, as well as small businesses in northern Ontario with fewer than 50 employees,” says Candys Ballanger-Michaud, WSN President and Chief Executive Officer. “All submitted assessments are automatically considered for the President’s Award, and scoring is based on the self-assessment in combination with statistical performance over the past two calendar years.”
“We’re proud to welcome returning winners: Fleming’s Trucking and Logging from the Sault Ste. Marie region, and ACCO Brands Canada in Mississauga—excellent achievements in health and safety!”
Top scoring firms in Ontario forestry, mining, paper, printing, and converting, and small business will be officially presented with the President’s Award at the WSN annual general meeting on September 28 in North Bay.
“It’s important to recognize the efforts of workplaces that make health and safety a priority,” says Ballanger-Michaud. “They lead the way and set the tone for their sectors. That’s why these businesses deserve special recognition, for demonstrating their strong commitment to ensuring that every worker goes home safe and healthy each day. The award winners are positive role models for Ontario businesses to make workplace health and safety an integral part of every job and every work day.
“Congratulations to all winners for your commitment to workplace health and safety,” “I’m honoured to recognize your dedication to workers’ well-being, and to creating and maintaining healthy and safe workplaces – well done!”
President’s Award Winners
Forestry – Fleming’s Trucking and Logging Inc., Hilton Beach
Mining – Cementation Canada Inc., North Bay
Paper, Printing and Converting – ACCO Brands Canada Inc., Mississauga
Small firms (less than 50 full-time employees) – Fleming’s Trucking and Logging Inc., Hilton Beach
Earlier this year, 22 companies received a Workplace Excellence Award, recognizing workplace excellence in health and safety.
Workplace Excellence Award Winners
- ACCO Brands Canada Inc., Mississauga
- Alamos Gold Young-Davidson Mine, Matachewan
- Alex MacIntyre & Associates Limited, Kirkland Lake
- Brinkman & Associates Reforestation Ltd., New Westminster
- Cementation Canada Inc., North Bay
- DeBeers Canada Inc., Timmins
- Domtar Inc., Dryden
- Fleming's Trucking and Logging Inc., Hilton Beach
- Goldcorp Porcupine Gold Mines, South Porcupine
- J.S. Redpath Limited, North Bay
- Kidd Operations - a Glencore Company, Timmins
- Kirkland Lake Gold Inc., Kirkland Lake + winner of International Mines Rescue Competition 2016
- Label Supply, Whitby
- Lac Des Iles Mine Ltd., Thunder Bay
- Lake Shore Gold Corp., Timmins
- Nordic Minesteel Technologies Inc., North Bay
- SCR Mining and Tunnelling L.P., Val Caron
- Shuniah Forest Products Limited, Thunder Bay
- Technica Mining, Lively
- Wallbridge Mining Company Limited, LIvely
- Wellington Wood Products (1972) Ltd., Mount Forest
- Weyerhaeuser, Kenora
Build a reputable program
The purpose of the Workplace Excellence (WE) Awards is twofold. First, companies complete an easy-to-follow assessment of their current health and safety programs, which enables them to identify areas for improvement and create an action plan. Second, the program provides external recognition to those companies actively engaged in improving health and safety performance.
For more information, please visit: