On Thursday, July 21, 2022, Workplace Safety North (WSN) and the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development (MLITSD) hosted a free webinar, "How to prepare for workplace compliance initiative on storage, use, and handling of explosives in surface and underground mines."
Between August 1 and September 30, 2022, the Ministry will be conducting an inspection initiative focused on hazards associated with storage, use, and handling of explosives in surface and underground mines.
MLITSD Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Inspectors will be looking at how surface and underground mines manage explosives storage, handling, and use of hazards including, but not limited to:
- Reviewing the training, knowledge, and experience of mine personnel on explosives storage, handling, and use
- Reviewing and evaluating explosives storage, handling, and use programs
- Reviewing the employer's risk assessment to address hazards of storage, use and handling of explosives
- Assessing the effectiveness of mine, policies, procedures, and programs associated with storage, use and handling of explosives
- Observing safe storage, use, and handling of explosives practices
- Reviewing warning signs or other safeguards used to protect workers from storage, use, and handling of explosives
- Kyle Watson, MLITSD Provincial Mining Specialist
- Philip Dirige, WSN Senior Specialist Ground Control
Webinar: Ministry Workplace Compliance Initiative on Safe Use and Storage of Explosives in Mines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYasWdHNRio
CAN/BNQ 2910-500 Standard for Industrial Explosives - Bureau de normalisation du Quebec (BNQ)
Explosives Act Canada – Government of Canada
Explosives Regulations, 2013 – Government of Canada