On May 10, 2018, Ministry of Labour (MOL) and Workplace Safety North co-hosted a webinar regarding the MOL inspection blitz on conveyor guarding.
From June 1 to July 31, 2018, the MOL will conduct a provincial inspection blitz to raise awareness and address health and safety hazards related to conveyor guarding in Ontario mines and mining plants. Topics included:
- Conveyor guarding of pinch points and moving parts
- Emergency stopping systems
- Worker safety around unguarded conveyors while conveyor is operating including
- Safety policies, procedures, and practices in the workplace such as locking and tagging procedures when repairs, adjustments or other maintenance work is performed on conveyors; and
- Effective precautions to ensure worker safety when working around conveyor while conveyor is operating, such as inspections, adjustments and repairs.
- Resource information
Conveyor guarding - Ministry of Labour
Belt conveyor guarding - Workplace Safety North
Guide to equipment guarding - Mine Safety and Health Administration