The purpose of this course is to provide insight into critical information for working safely in trenches and excavations. Participants learn how to apply a hazard identification model (known as the RACE principle) to reduce risk in efforts to keep themselves and co-workers safe and healthy.
By the end of this course, participants will know:
- why a strong understanding of safe trenching practices is so important
- what the law says about trenching safety, and what safety guidelines apply to you
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- recognize hazards when working in trenches
- assess the risks and potential consequences of these hazards
- control the hazards with various strategies, techniques, and devices
- evaluate the protective measures and continue working safely
This half-day course combines lecture, discussion, scenario-based exercises, and other interactive activities to ensure understanding of safe trenching practices, thereby working toward keeping workplace dangers at minimum and safe practices at maximum.
Related article: Down in the trenches working safely