Moving from the classroom to the woodlot, participants will practise the principles of how to sharpen, handle and operate a chainsaw competently. Building their skills through supervised practice in actual felling and limbing operations, the participant will also learn the best way to hold, start and handle a chainsaw.
Equipment Required by Participants:
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Forestry headset (hardhat, ear muffs, face screen)
- CSA-approved safety glasses (with side shields)
- Chainsaw gloves/mitts
- Chainsaw pants/chaps
- CSA-approved protective footwear with chainsaw cut protection
- Reflective vest (or similar high-visibility garb)
- Size and type appropriate for the work normally performed
- Properly sharpened, maintained and ready to work in full compliance with requirements of applicable legislation, with owner's manual (if possible)
- For field session, participants will require chain oil and mixed gas as per the owner's manual
Sharpening & maintenance tools
- Combination tool
- Correct size round file with handle
- Filing guide
- Depth gauge tool
- Flat file with handle
- Small screwdriver (to fit carburetor adjustment screws)
- Chainsaw grease gun, rag
- Spark plug gap tool, wire brush, emery paper
- Chain owner's manual
Felling aids (wedges, optional felling bar)
- Axe (with sheath)
The basic knowledge and skill provided by this training should be supplemented by on-the-job supervision, practice and experience before evaluation for certification under the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) modular training guidelines up to one year after the common core is completed.
Participation in Modules One, Two and Three of the Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation program. Participants are required to have current WSIB coverage or complete and return a WSN Release form prior to the training (available through your WSN Consultant Trainer).
The course is intended for new workers or current cutters in logging operations. Individual elements, modules and adapted areas of the training and curriculum are also useful for safe chainsaw operation training of operators not employed in logging.
Material(s) included with this course:
Currently there are no sessions scheduled for this course. Please contact one of our Customer Care Representatives or call 1-888-730-7821 to inquire about future course openings or to be placed on a wait list for this course.