All firms with 20 or more employees require a JHSC comprised of members who are certified through Ministry of Labour-approved training. This mandatory course, the first of two parts, provides participants with an understanding of how to recognize, assess and control workplace hazards and how to evaluate hazard controls once they are in place.
The following topics are examined in detail:
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations
- The skills necessary for effective communication in the workplace
- How to function effectively as JHSC members and how to promote the operation of a JHSC in the workplace
- The rights, duties and responsibilities of a certified member
- Recognizing, assessing, and controlling health and safety hazards, and evaluating hazard controls
- How to conduct an effective incident investigation
- How to prepare and conduct workplace inspections and how to report on the inspections to the JHSC
- Health and safety policies and programs: legal requirements and how to implement them
- The impact of workplace hazards on the body
- Health and safety research and resources: where to find them and how to assess the information
Participants must satisfactorily complete a written test to qualify for certification through the Chief Prevention Office.
The course is designed for management and worker representatives of a JHSC as the first part of two-part mandatory certification training.
IMPORTANT NOTICE - Confirmation of Identification:
The instructor will be required to verify participant’s identification by checking valid photo ID prior to the start of the course. Please ensure that you bring one of the following accepted identification credentials with you: Canadian or foreign passport; Canadian citizenship card; Immigration and Refugee Report; Enhanced driver’s licence issued by Ontario; or Ontario Health Insurance Card.
NOTE: Failing to provide the proper credentials will result in a non-completion of the training program and no record of training will be issued.
Parts 1 and 2 of training must be completed within twelve months of each other; a one-time application for extension due to extenuating circumstances is available through the MLITSD. Refresher training must be taken within three years of completion of Certification Parts 1 and 2.
OWWCO Continuing Education Units (CEUs):
The WSN JHSC Certification Part 1 (OWWCO #14795) course is Director Approved by OWWCO and 2.1 CEUs are awarded to participants that complete the course.
This course is offered through instructor-led live virtual training over half-day sessions via the Zoom meeting platform. Participants will require an active broadband Internet connection (DSL or greater) and a webcam to participate.
To prepare for your upcoming sessions, please test Zoom on the computer you will be using to attend your sessions. Go to ZOOM.US/TEST to make sure this platform works for you.
- A computer or laptop – use your own device to participate fully in the course
- Zoom platform: go to ZOOM.US/TEST on the computer you will use to make sure you can participate
- High speed wi-fi/internet connection
- Microphone and headphones
- A webcam (required for attending this certification course)
- Valid photo ID (driver’s license, passport, health card)
6 days (4 hour sessions)
Material(s) included with this course:
A computer or laptop, Zoom platform, high-speed wi-fi/internet connection, microphone and headphones, webcam (mandatory), valid photo ID.