Delivery Method: This course is delivered as an online e-learning course, designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your convenience. You will need a computer (desktop or laptop) and access to the internet.
About one in five Canadians experience mental health issues at some point during their working years. According to the Mental Health Commission of Canada, it is estimated that mental illness costs the Canadian economy more than $50 billion per year in terms of healthcare service use, lost workdays and work disruptions. A healthy Canadian economy – and a healthy workplace – relies on healthy minds.
This awareness course provides an introduction to the complex issue of mental health in the workplace, and explains why it is so important. You will learn the difference between mental well-being and mental illness, factors that put people at risk, and the roles of early intervention and promotion of mental well-being at work.
Upon completion of the course you will be able to:
- Describe the impact of mental illness in the workplace
- Explain the difference between mental illness and stress
- List common risk factors of mental illness
- Recognize signs of mental illness at work and the importance of early intervention
- Describe ways to promote mental well-being in the workplace
- Access other sources of information about mental health in the workplace.
This course is recommended for employers, managers, supervisors and front-line workers interested in learning about mental health at work.