This intensive two-day course of combined classroom and field skill demonstration is designed exclusively for trainers who will be delivering the Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation (IPCO) training course. It includes four to six hours of pre-course work in which the participants study the IPCO course materials and complete an assignment.
Classroom work focuses on the teaching methods and adult education principles incorporated in the IPCO course. The course is developed by WSN and sanctioned by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) as a requirement for certification as a WSN Approved Trainer under the mandatory Cutter/Skidder Operator program.
A course pre-work assignment is a mandatory part of the Train-the-Trainer: Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation package. When the applicant has registered for the course the pre-work assignment, resource material and complete instructions are provided. The assignment must be completed and submitted to the course instructor for evaluation prior to the course delivery dates.
Each participant will also be required to prepare a classroom presentation and field demonstration by delivering two units from the IPCO classroom Leader Guide, as well as one field demonstration unit. Feedback and critique on these presentations will be provided by the course participants and instructor.
Participants in this course must successfully complete all required components of the course before they can receive the course certificate that qualifies them to provide IPCO training under the mandatory Cutter/Skidder
The components that require successful completion include:
The participant meets the prerequisites for the course
The participant completed and submitted the course pre-work assignment before the start of the course and scored at least 67% (50 out of 75) on the assignment
The participant attended the entire two-day Train-the-Trainer course
The participant scored at least 65% on the "Participant Performance Assessment (Classroom)"
The participant scored at least 65% on the "Participant Performance Assessment (Field)".
Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation: Full Course and
Please note: Prerequisite Training should be current (within the last six years).
The course of combined classroom and field skill demonstration is designed exclusively for trainers who will be delivering the Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation (IPCO) training course.
Equipment Required by Participants
Personal protective equipment (PPE):
- Forestry headset (CSA-approved hardhat, ear plugs and/or ear muffs, and face screen)
- CSA-approved safety glasses (with side shields)
- Chainsaw gloves/mitts
- Chainsaw pants/chaps
- Reflective vest (or similar high-visibility clothing)
Chainsaw (ensure chainsaw is purged of fuel):
- Size and type appropriate for the work normally performed
- Properly sharpened, maintained and ready to work in full compliance with requirements of applicable legislation, with owner's manual (if possible)
Sharpening & maintenance tools:
- Combination tool
- Correct size round file with handle
- Filing guide
- Depth gauge tool
- Flat file with handle
- Small screwdriver (to fit carburetor adjustment screws)
- Chainsaw grease gun, rag
- Spark plug gap tool, wire brush, emery paper
- Chain owner's manual
- Felling bar
- Axe (with sheath)
Resource Materials (will be provided at time of registration):
- Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation Leader’s Guide and Participant Manual
- Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation DVD
- The Cutting Edge chainsaw safety manual
- Set of four chainsaw shirt-pocket booklets
- Safe Chainsaw Handling
- Proper Felling and Limbing Techniques
- Chainsaw Sharpening & Maintenance
- How to Prevent Kickback
- Maintenance Safety Manual
- Course pre-work assignment
WSN Approved Trainer/Evaluator Requirements:
The Approved Trainer/Evaluator:
- Will conduct mandatory classroom training for cutters using the Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation (IPCO) training program
- Will conduct evaluations of workers for certification/accreditation
His/her qualifications will include:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in related logging operations
- Successful completion of Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation: Full Course
- Successful completion of Train-the-Trainer: Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation
- Successful completion of Train-the-Trainer: Generic
Material(s) included with this course:
Introduction to Professional Chainsaw Operation Leader's Guide Version 5.0, Cutting Edge 7th Edition, and a link to shared multimedia drive for videos
Currently there are no sessions scheduled for this course. Please contact one of our Customer Care Representatives or call 1-888-730-7821 to inquire about future course openings or to be placed on a wait list for this course.