The "Build Your Program" Small Business Health and Safety Program (formerly Safe Communities Incentive Program or SCIP) offered through the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) is a two-part health and safety incentive program for small business.
Part One is an introduction to health and safety for newly registered firms (i.e., registered with the WSIB for 12 months or less).
Part Two helps you develop an effective health and safety program to better manage risks and reduce injury and illness costs.
Workplace Safety North, along with Public Services Health and Safety Association, Workplace Safety and Prevention Services, Infrastructure Health and Safety Association and Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers, has teamed up with the WSIB to bring you a series of Part Two sessions. To complete Part Two of the SCIP program, you must attend three 4-hour training sessions, where you will learn how to:
- Reduce your WSIB costs
- Increase productivity
- Satisfy health and safety legislative requirements
- Keep your workers safe
If all the requirements are met, you will receive a one-time five per cent rebate upon completion of the program. Requirements include:
- Attending all three sessions
- Submitting the program requirements, including:
- A Return-to-Work procedure
- An inspection procedure
- A health and safety action plan
Who can attend?
- An owner or senior manager must attend all sessions
- A second person may also attend
How to register
Complete the registration form and mail, fax, or email to the WSIB. Confirmation of your attendance will be provided upon WSIB approval, no sooner than two weeks prior to the first session.
You are eligible to join Small Business Health and Safety Program (formerly SCIP) if your company:
- is registered as a Schedule 1 employer and is in good standing with the WSIB
- pay $90,000 or less in WSIB premiums per year
- is not part of the Safety Groups program and has not participated in the program in the past
Note: Firms are not eligible to receive rebates for both Part One and Part Two in the same calendar year.
For more information
Teresa Caravella - WSIB
Toll Free 1-800-663-6639