Expect deliveries of this product to begin approximately mid-July 2020
This half-day course reviews the hazards of driving company, personal or recreational vehicles on forest roads. It covers the unique physical nature of these roads, how to drive safely on them, and how to prepare a vehicle and driver for travelling on them. The course material describes defensive driving techniques for driving on forest roads in all seasons as well as general safety principles on these roads.
The material is delivered in a classroom format with a PowerPoint presentation and video segments. There are opportunities for group discussion and question and answer sessions.
The course material is divided into five modules and covers the following topics:
- Characteristics and types of logging roads
- Duties and rights of workers
- Types of vehicles travelling on logging roads and legislation
- Safe, defensive, and seasonal driving practices
- Components of a circle check
- Radio communication system.
The course reviews the safety considerations an operator must consider when operating:
- Load haul truck
- Passenger-carrying vehicle
- Service truck or personal vehicle
- Snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle (ATV).
The instructor packages includes:
- One physical copy of the 232-page Leader Guide
- 10 physical copies of the 130-page Participant Manual
- On a USB drive with the PowerPoint presentation and seven videos.
The course can be customized for your audience. There is a common introduction module, describing the uniqueness of forest roads, and from there, the instructor can choose a module that focuses on professional commercial drivers, or those who use forest roads for work – forestry, mining, utilities, or the government. There is a separate module for recreational users of forest roads that takes about an hour to complete.
This course is intended for operators of haul trucks that use forest roads, drivers of company and personal vehicles, operators of vehicles that carry passengers, and those who use logging roads for recreational purposes, such as operators of snowmobiles and ATVs.